Research Fellow, Visiting Scholar
Dyers Brae 7
tel. 01334 463370
My research aims to better understand (1) the relative importance of premating and postmating isolation to the speciation process, and (2) their modulation by the social environment. This work is in collaboration with Mike Ritchie and Nathan Bailey, and I am funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation.
Previously, I did my PhD on a flatworm, aiming to illuminate sexual selection theories with the worms’ fluorescent sperm. This work was conducted under the supervision of Lukas Schärer, at the University of Basel, Switzerland.
google scholar webpage
research gate profile
twitter profile page
11. Janicke T., M.G. Ritchie, E.H. Morrow and L. Marie-Orleach 2018. Sexual selection predicts species richness across the Animal kingdom. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 285: 20180173.
10. Vellnow N., L. Marie-Orleach, K.S. Zadesenets and L. Schärer 2018. Bigger testes increase paternity in a simultaneous hermaphrodite, independently of the sperm competition level. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 31: 180-196.
9. Bailey N.W., L. Marie-Orleach and A.J. Moore 2018. If everything is special, is anything special? A response to comments on Bailey et al. Behavioral Ecology 29: 17-18.
8. Bailey N.W., L. Marie-Orleach and A.J. Moore 2018. Indirect genetic effects in behavioural ecology: does behaviour play a special role in evolution? Behavioral Ecology 29: 1-11.
7. Marie-Orleach L., N. Vogt-Burri, P. Mouginot, A. Schlatter, D.B. Vizoso, N.W. Bailey and L. Schärer 2017. Indirect genetic effects and sexual conflicts: partner genotype influences multiple morphological and behavioral reproductive traits in a flatworm. Evolution 71: 1232-1245.
6. Marie-Orleach L., T. Janicke, D.B. Vizoso, P. David and L. Schärer 2016. Quantifying episodes of sexual selection: insights from a transparent worm with fluorescent sperm. Evolution 70: 314-328.
5. Marie-Orleach L., T. Janicke, D.B. Vizoso, M. Eichmann and L. Schärer 2014. Fluorescent sperm in a transparent worm: validation of a GFP marker to study sexual selection. BMC Evolutionary Biology 14:148. # Highlighted in editor's picks #
4. Marie-Orleach L., J.M. Roussel, J. Bugeon, J. Tremblay, D. Ombredane and G. Evanno 2014. The coloration of Atlantic salmon sneaker males is linked to the viability and emergence timing of their offspring. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 111: 126-135.
3. Janicke T., L. Marie-Orleach, K. De Mulder, E. Berezikov, P. Ladurner, D.B. Vizoso and L. Schärer 2013. Sex allocation adjustment to local sperm competition in a simultaneous hermaphrodite. Evolution 67: 3233-3242.
2. Marie-Orleach L., T. Janicke and L. Schärer 2013. Effects of mating history on copulatory and post-copulatory behaviour in a simultaneous hermaphrodite. Animal Behaviour 85: 453-461.
1. Mander L., L. Marie-Orleach and M. Elliott 2013. The value of wader foraging behaviour study to assess the success of restored intertidal areas. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 131: 1-5.