There are several things that you should think about or start to organise before you arrive:
Students taking BL1101 Biology 1 require regular access to these principal texts:
- Biology (10th edition) by Campbell, Reece & Mitchell [ideally the 10th edition, though 9th edition is also of use]
- Practical Skills in Biology (5th edition) by Jones, Reed & Weyers [ideally the 5th edition, though 4th edition is also of use]
- The Double Helix by James D. Watson
- Rosalind Franklin: The Dark Lady of DNA, by Brenda Maddox (2003)
And the following text is optional:
- Asking Questions in Biology (3rd edition) by Barnard, Gilbert & McGregor
Copies of these texts are available on short-term loan from the University Library, and all four are available in the University Bookstore in St Andrews, including a pack containing the first two.
It is highly recommended that you obtain at the least your own copies of 'The Double Helix' and 'Rosalind Franklin: The Dark Lady of DNA' in order to refer to them while writing your essay.