ID4001 Communicating and Teaching in Science
News: Induction session: TBC
Venue: School I
The St Andrews module was featured on the BBC Radio 4 programme 'the Learning Curve' on Monday 15th October 2007. Follow the link to listen again
There were 55 students that took this module in September 2013 from the Schools of Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Geosciences, Mathematics & Statistics, and Physics & Astronomy. All students went through a selection process to be chosen to be placed in primary or secondary schools in Fife and Tayside. Students have to spend 20-25 hours at the school. The timetable and dates are agreed between the teacher and student. This is an interdisciplinary Science module administered from the School of Biology and coordinated from the School of Physics and Astronomy.
We are delighted that for 2014-15 students and staff fromt the School of Psychology and Neuroscience are joining the module.
The module is part of the UK Undergraduate Ambassadors Scheme, which aims to give students experience of communicating with school pupils, and to give schools useful assistance from an undergraduate who has current knowledge, expertise, and enthusiasm for their science, technology, or mathematical subject.
The Module Coordinator is Dr Bruce Sinclair, School of Physics and Astronomy.
Address: School of Physics and Astronomy, North Haugh, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, KY16 9SS Telephone: 01334 463118
Module Administrator: Miss Lianne Baker 01334 463369 email@example.com
Students taking this module will be directly supervised by the academic representative from their department, who will also liaise directly with the school teacher mentor.
The equivalent of a Head of School for this module is the proDean of Science (curriculum), and the Academic Misconduct Officer is as for the School of Physics and Astronomy. One external examiner looks at ID4001 and its equivalent in arts and humanities, ID4002.
University Department Representative Contact Details
- Biology: Dr Jane Wishart, School of Biology, Purdie Building, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, Fife, KY16 9TS
- Chemistry: Dr Christopher Baddeley, School of Chemistry, Purdie Building, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, Fife, KY16 9TS
- Computer Science: Ms Judith Malcolm, School of Computer Science, Jack Cole Building, North Haugh, St Andrews, Fife KY16 9S
Telephone: 01334 463269
- Geography & Geosciences: Dr Ruth Robinson, School of Geography & Geosciences, Irvine Building, University of St Andrews, North Street, St Andrews, Fife KY16 9AL
Telephone 01334 463996
- Mathematics & Statistics: Dr Aidan P Noughton, School of Mathematics & Statistics, Mathematical Institute, North Haugh, St Andrews, Fife KY16 9SS
Telephone 01334 463712
- Physics & Astronomy: Dr Bruce Sinclair, School of Physics & Astronomy, University of St Andrews, North Haugh, St Andrews, Fife KY16 9SS
Telephone 01334 463118
- Psychology and Neuroscience: Dr Martin Campbell, School of Psychology and Neuroscience, Westburn Lane, St Andrews, Fife, KY16 9JP
Telephone 01334 462084